Did you know there are some foods that can physically harm your teeth? Yes, it’s true! There are some items we consume each day that can damage your teeth or cause spur on conditions like cavities and gum disease, putting your teeth and oral health at risk for painful and disastrous conditions.
That is why our dentist, Dr. Mark Teigen, encourages everyone to take good care of their teeth and gums. In fact, our team at Cascade Dental Care in Longview, Washington, is pleased to share with you some common foods that are harmful to your teeth.
Here are some everyday foods that are harmful to your teeth:
– Sour candy: The ingredients used in sour candy is exceptionally high in acidic content, so much so that it is almost the same acid ranking as car battery acid. These foods are dangerous to your teeth and overall health.
– Ice: Ice is a tough substance many people like to chew. However, the hard material can cause your teeth to chip and crack, creating a dental hazard for your teeth.
– Sugary: Sugar is known to be dangerous to your teeth because it can develop cavities and rot your teeth.
– Hard foods: Some foods such as popcorn balls or kernels can damage your teeth by chipping or cracking them.
– Sticky or chewy foods: Gummy foods or chewy foods can stick to your teeth and linger long after you are done eating them. These foods are dangerous because they stick to your teeth eating away at your tooth enamel causing cavities, which can lead to tooth loss.
As you can see, these conventional foods are hazardous to your smile and overall health. That is why keeping up with your oral health is essential to save your teeth and smile. If you would like to see a dentist for a dental checkup, please call us today at 360-425-8140 to make an appointment. We are always happy to help you.